Contentment

This is part of a letter shared with me and I have permission from the writer to pass it along. I pray it speaks to you like it did to me….Thank you Kacey for letting me share it.

“I was at a class today on financial freedom. It was a required off-campus student chapel. I have to admit that I didn’t want to go! Not even a little bit! But God, being true to His nature, showed me once again that His ways are better than mine! What an awesome night! Why is it that when you want to go the least, you are blessed the most? I love that!
We were discussing the many things written in The Word that help us understand where we need to be with God before any financial ‘theory’ or ‘method’ will work. The gentleman leading the class gave us verses about God’s view of money vs. the world’s view, stewardship of God’s money (and what it means to be a good steward), and faithfulness in handling God’s money. But, what really got me thinking was the discussion on contentment. We were, of course, discussing financial contentment. But, doesn’t contentment spill over into all areas of our lives? I was the most touched by the scripture that he shared to validate his points.
Philippians 4:13 (NASB95)
13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Isn’t that a great verse? I’ve always loved that one! But, I’ve always heard it read or used in the context of strength. Like for athletes, or when you are facing a difficult situation. But, the leader of our class challenged us to look at the surrounding verses to see what else that verse is getting at.
Philippians 4:10-13 (NASB95)
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity.
11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Do you see it? It’s about contentedness! In effect, we are reading that Paul had learned to be content in all things. He had learned how to be content no matter how much he had. He had learned the ‘secret’ of both being filled and being hungry! God is telling us through Paul’s hand and life that we can be content in all ‘things’ through Him who strengthens us! Wow! So, then how much should be enough for us? Whatever we have, right?
1 Timothy 6:8 (NASB95)
8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.
He asked us at class – ‘Do you have food?’- Well yes, we do! ‘Do you have clothes?’ – Yeah! Ok, then, according to God’s word, you should be content! Do you believe Him? How much is ‘enough’, then? Do we, right now, have enough car? Enough clothes? Enough house? Enough salary? Enough entertainment? Enough toys? If you look at your life right now and realize that everything that you have is from God Himself, that He chose that for you on purpose, what more do you need? I was really convicted!

Hebrews 13:5 (NASB95)
5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"
Let us learn, as Paul did, the secret of being content. There is no need for anything more, because God Himself (the creator of the entire universe) will never desert you, or forsake you! Ever! Isn’t that a wonderful feeling? He will never leave us! He will never forsake us! He will never let us go without something that He knows that we need! What a loving, caring God we serve! And we can trust Him for everything! Let us be content with where we are and with what we have, and start allowing God to be in control!
Love you all! Kacey”