Radical Gospel

"One of the signs that you may not grasp the unique, radical nature of the gospel is that you are certain that you do." -Tim Keller

Do you feel this way about your faith sometimes? For me, I start to think I have down all the rules I'm supposed to follow (oh, how my heart is programmed for legalism) and then the Holy Spirit steps in to show me I am not caring for those I ought. Or He reminds me gently of all the ways I don't even get all the rules right. A question I pose to myself: "Who am I friends with because Jesus would be, not because I would be?" It's a good gauge of how much you are choosing to walk like Christ. True Christianity, when we walk in it, leaves us clueless about what the next step is, unaware of what the plans of our days actually hold and constantly struggling to be OK with uncomfortable. That's unique, that's radical.

Our Father, in all His wisdom, provided us with a way to live with this kind of uncertainty. He sent us the Holy Spirit to live inside of us; that too, is radical! According to the passage below found in John, this Helper speaks to us of what the Father would have us to do. He will guide us into all truth one step at a time. So, we don't need to know and follow a bunch of rules or be certain of what our future holds. All we really need to know is Jesus. Pray that the Holy Spirit will reveal Him to you more and more.

13When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on His own but will tell you what He has heard. He will tell you about the future. 14 He will bring me glory by telling you whatever He receives from Me. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever He receives from Me.’ John 16:13-15 (NLT)