Conversation Time with Jesus by Traci Rhoades

My mom is my best friend. Somewhere along the way, we went from mother and daughter to great friends and the relationship serves as one of my biggest blessings. She’s my confidant and mentor.

But she lives thousands of miles away in a little town called Houston, Texas. We speak on the phone almost daily, usually in the mornings before she leaves for work. My mom and I only see each other a handful of times each year but we have a very close relationship.

That’s why, during a conversation in Bible Study one Wednesday, I nodded my head in agreement as another woman shared about a close relationship with her mom. I knew just what she was speaking of when she talked about enjoying the friendship of a family member.

Her next statement, however, convicted me to the core and still influences me. “I think Jesus wants us to long to speak to Him even more than we long to speak to our moms.” Immediately I thought of how often I checked the clock each morning to see if mom was awake yet (Houston is an hour behind us). I remembered all the times I ran to the phone, anxious to share a bit of news or get much needed advice. Did I experience the same excitement when going to Jesus?

The Great Teacher exhibited the importance of setting aside time with our Heavenly Father before the sun comes up (and long after it goes down). As we find in the book of Mark, Jesus took time before each day started to be alone and pray. Much like the close relationship I enjoy with my earthly mother, Jesus taught us our Heavenly Father longs for intimacy with us as well. That’s the closeness I too long for, with the lover and savior of my soul.

In the morning, long before sunrise, Jesus went to a place where he could be alone to pray.

Mark 1:35